Wednesday, March 11, 2009

tia runs?

i entered and completed my first 5K on sunday afternoon. my very first running event as an adult!
my conclusions? running is hard. and for some reason, not nearly as satisfying as riding a bike.
yet, i still feel drawn to dabble in some different types of events this season as i rebuild my fitness.



yay! jazz hands! i was quite proud of my christmas motif. as it was hail/snowing on us at the start, it seemed rather fitting.

this is the first run i've done outside this year. i've been jogging on the tredmill at the gym, and doing some walking during lunch outside (among other stuff). my body reminded me on monday, that running outside is a lot different than walking.



still a sprinter at heart:
see that chick in the pink -- i had to dust her by the time we got to the finish line, which was just at the top of that rise. and then i felt like i was going to hurl ... guess there are a few similarities to racing a bike.

i met all my goals for the race.
1. i didn't chicken out - i actually showed up.
2. i confidently placed myself toward the front of the start line.
3. i finished! didn't take any walk breaks - ran the whole thing.
4. my finish time was where i thought i should be, based on what i can do in the gym... way to not be a slacker outside on the road.

1 comment:

UltraMick said...

Congrats on your race!! Compared to riding a bike, I think running is boring. But I get way more endorphins from running, and I love seeing my neighborhood in the dawn (or predawn, depending on the season) hours. I miss it when I quit for the bike season. Will we see you out there soon?